Years in Production
Douglas, Inc. was founded by brothers Bill and Brian Douglas in the early 1950’s, and they had successfully printed and issued various non-sport trading cards at retail prior to entering the baseball card marketplace for 1961.
The Douglas brothers came to be extremely well-regarded in the Memphis area, rejecting several attempts from outside influences to invest in (or purchase) and move their headquarters and production out of the Memphis area. They refused, declaring that their factory provided jobs for hundreds of families and that they would “sooner go under than let the good people of Tennessee down” by moving or selling.
Douglas would issue complete sets of baseball cards from 1961 through our 1979 end date, and true to their word not move or sell the company through that entire timeline.